Aruba, covering 70 square miles of land, belongs to the Lesser Antilles and is located in the Southern Caribbean near the coast of Venezula. Considered one of the three ABC islands (together with Bonaire and Curacao), Aruba is 2.5 hours from Miami by air. In addition to have some of the most beautiful beaches in the world, Aruba benefits from an amazing beach climate, with a year-round average temperature of 82° Fahrenheit and low humidity. In addition, it is south of the hurricane belt.
The calm waters of Aruba’s leeward coast (the west side of the island) are a natural for sailing, boating, scuba diving and snorkeling. Aruba earns its reputation as the wreck dive destination of the Caribbean with over half a dozen wrecks submerged in its waters. The Antilla, a German freighter – which at close to 400 feet long, is also the Caribbean’s largest wreck – is by far the favorite.
Snorkelers find the perfect combination of calm, clear waters, beautiful coral reefs and colorful tropical fish, including the Queen Angelfish, damselfish, and schools of blue parrotfish.
Beaches of Aruba
Aruba’s beaches are clean and wide, and some of the most beautiful in the Caribbean. Most of them line the west coast in an area filled with hotels, resorts, restaurants, clubs and water sports rental facilities. The most popular beach is the Palm Beach and Eagle Beach area. These beaches rank among the best in the Caribbean, as long as you don’t mind sharing the beach with other tourists. Some of the other great beaches on Aruba include:
- Malmok Beach on the northwestern tip of the island is great for snorkeling and swimming.
- Arashi Beach is the northernmost beach on the island. It has white sand and crystal clear, calm water. Superb snorkeling.
- Baby Beach is far away from the high rise hotels and resorts, but the trip to the east side of the island to experience the white powder sand and clear turquoise water is well worth it. Here you an snorkel out to some of the best coral formations on the island.
Top Aruba Beaches:
View Aruba Beaches in a larger map
- Beach of the Week: Eagle Beach, Aruba
- TripAdvisor names 10 Breathtaking Beaches
- TripAdvisor lists cheapest and most expensive destinations for Caribbean escapes
- The Caribbean’s ten sexiest bars – Caribbean360
- Ritz-Carlton opens luxury resort on Aruba
- Best Caribbean islands for beach lovers
- Kaanapali Beach on Maui named this year’s Top Beach in the U.S. by TripAdvisor travelers
- 250 couples renew their vows as the One Happy Island of Aruba comes to Times Square
- Looking for some great free beach wallpaper for your computer screen?
- Timeshare marketplace RedWeek.com announces Top 25 timeshare rental resorts
Have you been to Aruba? Share your story and photos below. (Clicking in the comment box will bring up an image uploading link.)