What eastern Caribbean island is beginning to draw recognition not only as the best beach destination in the Caribbean but the best in the world? It is the tiny island of Providenciales, the centerpiece of the Turks and Caicos Islands, east of Cuba and north of Haiti.
“White-sand beaches, calm clear water and a bountiful barrier reef make the Turks and Caicos island of Providenciales a hot spot for families, snorkelers and divers,” according to TripAdvisor. “Some call rock-free Grace Bay Beach the best in the world. For an unusual experience, divers can walk along the ocean floor at Smith’s Reef, where underwater signs describe the reef’s ecosystem. Additional destinations include Iguana Island (home of endangered rock iguanas), the country’s only golf course, art galleries and a casino.”
Providenciales has experienced a boom in high-end resorts, mostly along the five-mile Grace Bay, with total visitors tripling since the mid-1990s. If you’re willing to pay $775 a night (based on a search for a random date), you can stay at the Tuscany, highest-rated resort on the island. But, fear not, there are places to stay for $100-$200 per night if you’ll willing to give in a little on the “convenience, comfort and luxury” promised by the Tuscany.
According to Wikipedia, “Apart from the beaches, the island’s charm lies in its rugged hills and ridges, which are carpeted with prickly pear cactus and scrub. The trump card, however, remains the world class diving: miles and miles of coral reefs are close to shore and the island is close to a common migration route for the Humpback whale. Providenciales is surrounded by uninhabited cays that are easily reached by chartered boat or excursion.”
Oh, and don’t overlook that the island is home to the only conch farm in the world.
Articles about Providenciales and the Turks & Caicos:
- Win a Beach Getaway in the Turks & Caicos Islands
- Kaanapali Beach on Maui named this year's Top Beach in the U.S. by TripAdvisor travelers
- Amelia Island, Bahamas, Galveston Island ranked among top family vacation destinations for 2013
- West Bay Club in Providenciales, Turks & Caicos, receives TripAdvisor's Certificate of Excellence
- Looking for some great free beach wallpaper for your computer screen?
- Caribbean Travel & Life finds some of the best all-inclusive resorts
- Bali tops U.S. New & World Report list of Best Beaches in the World
- Beaches Resort in Turks & Caicos and Sun Viking Lodge in Daytona Beach make TripAdvisor's Travelers' Choice Awards for family-friendly hotels
- Victoria's Secret supermodels celebrate the 2012 Swim Collection
- Fox picks 6 best beaches to escape the winter blues
- Cayman's Seven Mile Beach tops list of best beaches in the Caribbean
- TripAdvisor picks 10 refreshing swim-up bars
- Providenciales: Best beach in the world?
Chance of Rain82°/79°
Chance of a Thunderstorm82°/81°
Chance of a Thunderstorm82°/79°