Taking the family to the beach can create lifelong memories, as long as every member of the family is satisfied. To help you choose your next family beach vacation, U.S. News considered factors like safe waters, kid-friendly attractions, dining options, spacious accommodations, multi-generational appeal and overall accessibility. The list below features destinations across the country that are most ideal for family getaways, according to travel experts and our readers. Weigh in by voting below, then use this list to plan your upcoming travels.Read More
Category San Diego
This kind of attention is nothing new for Siesta Beach, with its pristine, sugary white sand and wide expanse, but this Florida Gulf Coast slice of paradise has been named the best beach in America by the 2015 TripAdvisor Travelers’ Choice Awards.
“I was totally blown away by how fine, soft, clean and uncrowded the beach was. My feet were in heaven,” wrote on recent traveler.
And while the sand is the main attraction at Siesta Beach, the island that serves as its home is also a big draw. The beaches of Siesta Key, just south of Sarasota, are lined with condos and hotels, but the island nonetheless has retained a quiet get-away atmosphere. You won’t find a lot of restaurants and bars on the beaches of Siesta Key, but that keeps it quiet and family-fun oriented.
The other top 10 American beaches in the 2015 TripAdvisor Travelers’ Choice Awards, in order, are:
- Saint Pete Beach, Florida
- Ka’anapali Beach, Maui, Hawaii
Wai’anapanapa State Park, Maui, Hawaii
- Pensacola Beach, Florida
- La Jolla Cove, California
- Kailua Beach Park, Kailua, Hawaii
- Clearwater Beach, Florida
- St. Augustine Beach, Florida
- Panama City Beach, Florida
The Beach Maniac Blog by Bill HurleyRead More
A mega-pod of dolphins – which observers said stretched 7 miles long and 5 miles wide and contained tens of thousands of frolicking mammals – was videotaped off the coast of southern California this week, leaving even biologists and experienced boat captains awestruck.”They were coming from all directions, you could see them from as far as the eye can see,” said Joe Dutra, who captains Hornblower Cruises and spotted the spectacle while on a daily tour with nature watchers. Experts believe the dolphins found a feeding area, and the very social mammals communicated with each other to join the frenzy. Several videos of the amazing scene have gone viral, including this one from the World Mediaus YouTube page:Read More
Amelia Island, Florida, the Bahama Islands and Galveston Island in Texas are the beach locations among the top family vacation destinations for 2013, according to Family Vacation Critic, an online family travel planning guide.
Family Vacation Critic offered this list of the top family vacations for 2013, based on family-friendly appeal and recent additions:
1. Amelia Island, FL: With 13 miles of beaches, this barrier island has a rich history and laid-back, outdoorsy vibe. In the spring of 2013, the Omni Amelia Island Plantation Resort will unveil its massive $85-million renovation.
2. Montreal: Montreal’s cobblestone streets, marvelous boutiques and creperies make it the ideal destination for those looking for a distinct change of pace. Kids will love the Biodome and La Ronde, the second-largest amusement park in Canada.
3. Bahamas: Convenient, relatively affordable, and teeming with activities for kids, the Bahamas is always a popular choice for families. Princess Cruise Line’s new ship, Royal Princess, begins sailing in 2013, and will stop in the Bahamas on its maiden Caribbean voyage in October.
4. Park City, UT: A visit to the 400-acre Utah Olympic Park, a venue for the 2002 Olympic Winter Games, is a must. Widely known as a hotspot for skiers, families can trade in their skis for hiking boots and bikes in the summer and explore miles of biking and hiking trails.
5. Galveston Island, TX: Galveston Island offers families tranquil bea...Read More