Expedia.com, the world’s leading online travel agency, has found that the Dominican Republic is an increasingly popular destination for US travel, up 30%, making it the 2nd most popular destination for Americans to travel in Latin America and the Caribbean. As the largest and most diverse Caribbean destination, the Dominican Republic is an easy trip from Miami, New York City, Atlanta and even some European destinations. Known for its warm and hospitable people, the Dominican Republic is a destination like no other, featuring astounding nature, intriguing history and rich culture. In addition to identifying the best deals, activities and tips for travelers planning a vacation to the Dominican Republic, Miriam Hernandez, head of the Dominic Republic market for Expedia.com, shared that, “The Dominican Republic has never been more popular for US travelers, especially those from the east coast, but surprisingly, room night costs have remained mostly flat, making it one of the best deals for getting to the beach this summer.” A recent survey known as the Expedia Flip Flop report shows that beach travel is the number one type of trip most Americans prefer.
Dominican Republic travel trends at a glance
Travelers on Expedia usually book their trips to the Dominican Republic 52 days in advance and come from these top 5 feeder cities:
- New York
Close to 70% of those booking trips to the Dominican Republic book a package on Expedia.com which saves them an average of roughly $200 per booking. In addition, 72% book all-inclusive lodging.
The percentage of bookings for just two adults and no kids: 66%. The percentage of bookings with kids: 14%.
Punta Cana is very popular with more than 50% of bookings while Santo Domingo, the capital, draws roughly 13% of the bookings.
Hotel occupancy levels vary by season in Punta Cana:
- January through March feature 90% – 95% occupancy.
- April through June feature an 80% occupancy in April and 70% from May through June.
- From July through August the average occupancy is 75% and should be stronger this year.
- September through December features a 60% – 75% occupancy with a peak over the December holiday season.
Where to stay in the Dominican Republic For travelers looking for a romantic all-inclusive getaway, the Sanctuary Cap Cana, Zoetry Agua Punta Cana and Majestic Elegance Punta Cana all offer fantastic all-inclusive and romantic options. For families, the Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real, Barcelo Bavaro Palace Deluxe and Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana Luxury all offer affordable and family friendly all-inclusive options. For travelers interested in trying their luck at a casino they should visit the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Punta Cana featuring the largest gaming area in the country.
What to do in the Dominican Republic The Dominican Republic has many of the most magnificent golf courses in the Caribbean and Latin America. From the mountains to the beaches, the golf courses there are uniquely designed and distinct. Sports champions and golf enthusiasts alike cannot resist playing the island’s challenging courses.
The Dominican Republic also features some of the world’s most beautiful beaches. Families, couples and friends can enjoy the fine beach lifestyle in Punta Cana, Santo Domingo, La Romana, Samana, Montecristi and Puerto Plata. Top excursions include: Juanillo Beach VIP in Punta Cana, Altos de Chavon in La Romana, Saona Island in La Romana, El Limon Waterfall in Samana and Cayo Paraiso in Puerto Plata.
Top deals to the Dominican Republic: With more than 25 hotels participating in the largest Expedia Summer Sale on record, now is a great time to explore the Dominican Republic. Travelers wanting to maximize their dollars should not miss these package deals and top luxury deals on Expedia.com:
- Forty-five percent off a family experience at the 4-star Paradisus Punta Cana Resort All Inclusive
- Twenty-five percent off the relaxing Sivory Punta Cana
- Save 30% at the family favorite, Majestic Colonial Punta Cana All Inclusive
- Save 25% off an exclusive luxury stay at the Casa de Campo in La Romana
- Save 25% off at the relaxing 5-Star beach vacation at the Casa Colonial Beach & Spa in Puerto Plata
More articles about the Dominican Republic:
- Top 9 spring break party destinations to enjoy, or avoid
- Top 5 waterparks in the Caribbean
- Groupon Getaway: Grand Palladium Bavaro, Punta Cana
- Parents Magazine identifies the 10 Best Caribbean Destinations for Families
- TripAdvisor lists cheapest and most expensive destinations for Caribbean escapes
- TripAdvisor’s Top 25 All-Inclusive Resorts
- Dominican Republic offers both affordable and upscale beach getaways
- Dominican Republic sets stage for romance
- Looking for some great free beach wallpaper for your computer screen?
- Sandals Antigua named the Caribbean’s Leading Resort at the World Travel Awards
- Expedia reports more travelers heading to the Dominican Republic
- Caribbean Travel & Life finds some of the best all-inclusive resorts
- Many looking to Punta Cana to start a new life
- TripAdvisor announces 2012 Travelers’ Choice Beach Destinations Awards
- Key West most expensive place to celebrate spring break; Cancun most affordable
- Dominican Republic showcases its products, beaches at Academy Awards
- Hit the beach with your true love: Apple Vacations announces top romantic getaways
- TripAdvisor picks 10 refreshing swim-up bars
- Dominican Republic one of top five winter destinations
- Puerto Plata’s natural beauty dazzles in the 2012 Miami Dolphins Cheerleader Swimsuit Calendar
Map of the Dominican Republic:
View Dominican Republic in a larger map