Hawaii and Florida accounted for six of the Top 10 Beaches for 2013, according to famed Dr. Beach, who releases an annual list.
The Florida beaches making this year’s list are:
- St. George Island State Park, Florida panhandle.
- Barefoot Beach, Bonita Springs.
- Cape Florida State Park, Key Biscayne.
The Hawaiian beaches are:
- Kahanamoku Beach Waikiki, Oahu.
- Hamoa Beach, Maui.
- Waimanalo Bay Beach Park, Oahu.
Main Beach East in Hampton, New York, is this year’s Number One beach, according to Dr. Beach, also known as Dr. Stephen P. Leatherman, Professor and Director of the Laboratory for Coastal Research at Florida International University. According to the Dr. Beach website: “This idyllic beach is frequented by the rich and famous who so highly regard their beach that Leatherman has seen even super models picking up litter washed ashore from the sea. This beach was heavily eroded by Super Storm Sandy and subsequent winter storms, yet it has largely recovered. The proud pavilion at Main Beach was little affected because it was set back several hundred feet from the water’s edge. A great team of lifeguards stands watch, making this a very safe beach for bathing and swimming.”
Here is the complete list, with links to Dr. Beach’s analysis of each, followed by link to TripAdvisor information about hotels at these beach locations:
- Main Beach East Hampton, New York … (TRIPADVISOR REVIEWS)
- Kahanamoku Beach Waikiki, Oahu, Hawaii … (TRIPADVISOR REVIEWS)
- St. George Island State Park Florida panhandle … (TRIPADVISOR REVIEWS)
- Hamoa Beach, Maui, Hawaii … (TRIPADVISOR REVIEWS)
- Waimanalo Bay Beach Park Oahu, Hawaii … (TRIPADVISOR REVIEWS)
- Barefoot Beach Bonita Springs, Florida … (TRIPADVISOR REVIEWS)
- Cape Florida State Park Key Biscayne, Florida … (TRIPADVISOR REVIEWS)
- Cape Hatteras, Outer Banks of North Carolina … (TRIPADVISOR REVIEWS)
- Coast Guard Beach Cape Cod, Massachusetts … (TRIPADVISOR REVIEWS)
- Beachwalker Park Kiawah Island, South Carolina … (TRIPADVISOR REVIEWS)
Dr. Beach has studied and evaluated America’s coastal beaches for more than 22 years, and issues an annual listing of the best, based on 50 factors that include sand softness, water quality, number of sunny days, water temperature, rip currents, amount of algea, seaweed, jellyfish, and much more.