Jamaica’s storied Lover’s Leap, which has been closed for the last two years, reopened this spring, according to the country’s tourism agency. Lover’s Leap is a 1,700-foot bluff that offers dramatic views of the Caribbean Sea and Cutlass Bay in St. Elizabeth on the southwest coast.
The attraction, which emerges from the Santa Cruz Mountains, was shut down by the previous owner but is now managed by the Jamaica Tourism Product Development Company.
Wykeham NcNeill, minister of Tourism and Entertainment, said Lover’s Leap is an important tourism attraction that supports economic development in the St. Elizabeth area. He said he has been bombarded by calls from people urging the reopening of the popular attraction. The Tourism Product Development Company is forming a plan for financing the continued operation of the site.
Lover’s Leap gets its name from a story about two 18th century slaves, Mizzy and Tunkey, who loved each other. After their master, “Chardley,” arranged to have the girl sold to another estate so he could have her to himself, the two fled to avoid being separated. They were chased to the edge of the cliff, and chose to jump hand-in-hand to their deaths rather than living apart. The legend, which has variations, inspired the novel “Lover’s Leap” by Jamaican author Horane Smith, who is from the area. A wooden carving commemorates the story at the site. Tourism sites that have sprung up around the attraction include a restaurant and lighthouse .
Where is Lover’s Leap, Jamaica?:
View St. Elizabeth, Jamaica in a larger map
Articles about Jamaica:
- Beaches Ocho Rios named one of best all-inclusive resorts for families
- Top 5 waterparks in the Caribbean
- Ditch The Flip Flops: Best Places to Go Barefoot
- Parents Magazine identifies the 10 Best Caribbean Destinations for Families
- TripAdvisor lists cheapest and most expensive destinations for Caribbean escapes
- The Caribbean’s ten sexiest bars – Caribbean360
- TripAdvisor’s Top 25 All-Inclusive Resorts
- Featured Beach Resort: Holiday Inn SunSpree Resort, Montego Bay, Jamaica
- Featured Beach Resort: Beaches Negril Resort & Spa
- This week’s TripAdvisor Featured Beach Resort: Iberostar Grand Rose Hall, Montego Bay, Jamaica
- Ready for a beach dreamer’s escape? Pick up a copy of ‘I’m Gonna Live My Life Like a Jimmy Buffett Song’
- Couples Tower Isle Resort in Jamaica recognized twice as one of the best all-inclusive resorts
- Cliff jumping at Rick’s Cafe in Negril, Jamaica
- Looking for some great free beach wallpaper for your computer screen?
- Sandals Antigua named the Caribbean’s Leading Resort at the World Travel Awards
- Hedonism II resort in Negril, Jamaica, to host Miss Black Nude Pageant
- Travel free to the all inclusive Couples Resorts in Jamaica Caribbean Beaches for Lovers
- TripAdvisor announces 2012 Travelers’ Choice Beach Destinations Awards
- Key West most expensive place to celebrate spring break; Cancun most affordable
- Cancun tops list of Top 10 Spring Break Destinations
Have you been to Lover’s Leap? Share your story and photos below. (Clicking in the comment box will bring up an image uploading link.)