Family Vacation Critic – the comprehensive family travel review site – has announced its annual list of the “Best U.S. Beaches for Families,” and the winner is Walmanola Bay Beach Park on the Hawaiian island of Oahu.
According to editor, Lissa Poirot, “The U.S. has an incredible coastline and many beautiful beaches to choose from, but for families, there’s more to a good beach than just a great stretch of sand. As parents we were looking for certain features that make beaches specifically family-friendly. When picking this year’s list, we were looking for beaches recognized for their cleanliness, as well as those that provide safe water for young swimmers and plenty of activities for families, within a close walk from the beach.”
The website’s top 10 beaches for families are:
1. Waimanalo Bay Beach Park Oahu, HI, : One of the cleanest beaches in the country, and far removed from the crowded beaches of Waikiki. Soft sand, calm waters for tiny swimmers, and manageable waves for new surfers.
2. Outer Beach, Cape Cod, MA: The Cape Cod National Seashore offers 40 miles of untouched beaches, and is an idyllic setting where families can enjoy the long bike rides, mini golf and clam bakes that keep families coming back year after year.
This photo of Deerfield Beach is courtesy of TripAdvisor
3. Deerfield Beach, Near Fort Lauderdale, FL: Recognized for being an exceptionally clean beach, its stretches of sand are dotted with oversized boulders that create private pockets for beachgoers.
4. Sand Beach, Acadia National Park, ME: Known for its breathtaking and unspoiled beauty, Acadia’s beaches are some of the cleanest in the country and the park provides plenty to explore beyond the beach.
5. Cape Hatteras National Seashore, Outer Banks, NC: Wide and uncluttered beaches line warm waters and plenty of places for families to play. As a preserved area, wildlife refuges, lighthouses and camping areas provide even more fun.
This photo of Siesta Key is courtesy of TripAdvisor
For more information on the winning beaches, visit http://www.familyvacationcritic.com/10-best-beaches-for-families/art/.
Family Vacation Critic, which is a subsidiary of TripAdvisor, features reviews of family-friendly resorts and hotels, as well as family travel deals and destination guides for planning kid-friendly vacations. The site also provides a forum for swapping tips on all aspects of traveling with kids.
Have you been to any of these beaches? What is your favorite family beach? hare your story and photos below. (Clicking in the comment box will bring up an image uploading link.)