Cabo San Lucas, at the southern tip of Mexico’s Baja Peninsula, has become Mexico’s elite tourist destination – largely a playground for U.S. vacationers. With sandy beaches, luxury hotels, world-class scuba diving locations and golf courses, Cabo is a perfect weekend or weeks-long getaway. Tourists come to Cabo for swimming, sightseeing, diving, snorkeling, kayaking, boating, fishing (it is home to the largest marlin tournament in the world), and the sizzling nightlife. The Los Cabos Corridor – from Cabo San Lucas to San Jose del Cabo – is tourist central, with resorts, timeshares, restaurants and more.
The bay of Cabo San Lucas – now filled with luxury yachts – has a rich, rowdy history as a spot where pirates seized Spanish treasure ships. Although it was a quiet fishing village a little as 20 years ago, the bay is now lined with multi-million dolar homes, palm trees and exclusive golf courses.
The most popular beach in Cabo San Lucas is Playa El Medano (the Dune Beach), which fronts the main hotel zone and is packed with activity. This is the area to rent waver runners, kayaks and diving equipment.
If you’re looking for something quieter and on the romantic side, rent a kayak and paddle over to Playa del Amor (Love Beach), or hire a water taxi. Here you will see the scenic El Arco, the Arch Rock, and enjoy a dramatic view of the Sea of Cortez as it meets the Pacific Ocean. If you are kayaking or thinking of swimming in this area, however, beware of strong currents and winds.
Where is Cabo?
View Cabo San Lucas in a larger map
Articles about Cabo San Lucas:
- Las Ventanas al Paraiso, Cabo San Lucas, named best hotel in Mexico
- Giant 20-foot oarfish washes ashore at busy beach, shocking tourists in Cabo San Lucas
- Sandals Antigua named the Caribbean's Leading Resort at the World Travel Awards
- Mexico fishermen haul in a gigantic 20-foot great white shark
- TripAdvisor announces 2012 Travelers' Choice Beach Destinations Awards
- Cancun, Cozumel, Riviera Maya not on State Department's travel advisory list
- Grand Cayman tops TripAdvisor's list of Caribbean destinations
- 6 Best Beaches in Mexico