You just can’t beat the soft white sands of Siesta Key, Florida. And it was that inviting, sugary, soft-on-the-feet substance that helped Siesta Beach win recognition from Dr. Beach as the best beach in the United States.
“Siesta Beach in Sarasota boasts that it has the finest and whitest sand in the world, and I cannot argue with this claim; the powdery sand is nearly pure quartz crystal,” writes Stephen Leatherman, director of Florida International University’s Laboratory for Coastal Research, and also known as Dr. Beach. “The beautiful blue-colored water is clean and clear, making it so inviting to bathers and swimmers. The beach is hundreds of yards wide, attracting volleyball players and beachcombers as well as those who just want to find their place in the sun.”
This is the 21st year that Dr. Beach has ranked America’s beaches. Leatherman scores beaches based on 50 criteria that include wave size and water quality, sand color, cleanliness and the availability of lifeguards and on-site amenities.
Articles about Siesta Key:
- Kaanapali Beach on Maui named this year's Top Beach in the U.S. by TripAdvisor travelers
- USA Today searches for the Best Beach in Florida
- Fodors says Siesta Key is Florida's best swimming beach
- Family Vacation Critic lists Top 10 U.S. Beaches for Families
- Dog rescued by kayaker at sea near Siesta Beach has incredible - and very sad - story
- Giant Lego man washes up on shore near Sarasota
- Vote on your favorite Florida beaches!
- Top 10 Florida beaches
- Siesta Beach named best beach in US
Chance of a Thunderstorm88°/77°
Chance of a Thunderstorm90°/77°
Chance of a Thunderstorm90°/75°
Have you been to Siesta Key? Share your story and photos below. (Clicking in the comment box will bring up an image uploading link.)