The Virgin Islands, just east of Puerto Rico, are home to some of the most beautiful beaches in the world. From the British Virgin Islands to the east and the U.S Virgin Islands to the west, you’ll have countless beaches of every type to choose from, whether it is a busy stretch of white sand beach lined with resorts or a secluded clear-water oasis. All the beaches in the Virgin Islands are open to the public, although some of the more deserted beaches can be difficult to get to.
The U.S. Virgin Islands is an incorporated territory of the United States and is made up of St. Croix, St. John, St. Thomas and Water Island. The British Virgin Islands is a territory of the United Kingdom and is made up of Tortola, Virgin Gorda, Jost Vand Dyke and Anegada.
The most famous and most popular beach in the Virgin Islands is Trunk Bay on St. John. This beach, which is protected by the U.S. National Park Service, has been repeatedly names one of the Top 10 beaches in the Caribbean, and sometimes makes lists of the best beaches in the world. Trunk Bay is famous for its underwater snorkel trail where 15 underwater plauques describe the fish and corals that inhabit the water.
Other popular beaches in the Virgin Islands are:
- Magens Bay Beach on St. Thomas. Soft sand and calm waters make this picturesque beach ideal for swimming.
- Sapphire Beach on St. Thomas is a favorite for windsurfers and offers some of the island’s best snorkeling and diving.
- Caneel Bay on St. John is the site of luxury Caneel Bay resort and includes a string of seven beaches.
- Sandy Point on St. Croix is the largest beach in the Virgin Islands. Visitors love its shallow and calm waters, but it is open to the public only on weekends because it is a protected nesting spot for endangered sea turtles.
- Cane Garden Bay on Tortola is the most popular beach in the British Virgin Islands. Clear water, white-sand beaches and beautiful scenery are its main attractions, coupled with its convenient location near the city of Road Town.
Top Six Beaches of the Virgin Islands:
View Top Six Virgin Islands Beaches in a larger map
Articles about the Virgin Islands:
- TripAdvisor unveils Travelers' Choice Islands
- Scrub Island Resort in British Virgin Islands rated a top Caribbean resort by Conde Nast travelers
- Looking for some great free beach wallpaper for your computer screen?
- Sandals Antigua named the Caribbean's Leading Resort at the World Travel Awards
- Videographer captures huge hermit crab migration in the Virgin Islands